Making Schools and Communities Welcoming to LGBT Youth & 11 and Gender Fluid: Hyperlinks

Safe Spaces 

Summary 
  In the reading titled Safe Spaces: Making Schools and Communities Welcoming to LGBT Youth, by Annemarie Vaccaro, Gerri August, and Megan S. Kennedy, the authors discuss how educators can create a more inclusive environment for their students. The authors argue that by not including the history of LGBTQ, not validating those who are LGBTQ or have family or friends who are, and by not integrating them into the curriculum, educators are marginalizing these students. In the reading it states, "Without the deliberate creation of an inclusive atmosphere, however, what happens inside classroom walls reproduces the prejudices that exist outside these walls: straightness and gender conformity are assumed; LGBT identity is deviant" (August 84). The authors provide examples of teachers who integrate LGBT into their classrooms along with examples of teachers who fail to provide positive teaching lessons regarding LGBTQ history, family or people who identity as LGBTQ. Even though the text only provides a few examples of real life situations that occur regarding the issue of including LGBTQ into classroom curriculum, there are many other current examples as well. I have included various links to other stories that correspond to the examples provided by the authors. 

Hyperlinks 


The show, Author, is a children's show broadcast by PBS. In one of
the more recent episodes, the character, Mr. Ratburn who is a teacher, is getting married. In the episode, the students were about to object to his wedding with the woman, they assumed to be his fiance, but instead discover the woman is Mr. Ratburn's sister and he is instead getting married to a man. The students then are excited for their teacher to be married. The state of Alabama refused to air the episode, due to the fact that it depicts a gay wedding. The director of the Alabama Public Television (APT), said that airing the episode would break the trust of the parents, because they do not always supervise their children when they watch APT. This situation, relates to the other PBS show from the article, Postcards from Buster, which in one episode, depicts a child with two mothers. The Secretary of Education, Margaret Spellings said, "Many parents would not want their young children exposed to the life-styles portrayed in this episode" (August 86). The show Postcards from Buster, was ended shortly after that episode aired. In these two instances, heterosexism was validated but the LGBTQ community was not. 


In the article, "How to Teach Gay Issues in the First Grade", in the Los Angeles Times, by Teresa Watanabe, she discusses various ways in which LBTGQ is taught in Wonderland Avenue Elementary School, but also the challenges and opposition of others that come with it. For my post, however, I wanted to focus on one major component of the article, because it directly reminded me of the teacher Zeke Lerner in Safe Spaces. You are still able to click on the link above to read the entirety of the article, because it is very interesting. In her article, Watanabe explains that Wonderland Avenue Elementary School has lesson plans that directly incorporate diverse families including those with gay parents. A teacher at the school, Jane Raphael, brought together first and second graders to sit in a circle and share about their family. Their was no direct discussion about LGBTQ, but it demonstrated that there are various families. This exercise reminded me of how Zeke Lerner read the book, Tango Makes Three, to his students. The book entailed a story about two male penguins who hatched and raised a baby penguin. Lerner, however, took the lesson further than Raphael did, by interpreting the stories to his students. Lerner described all the various families, from the numerous stories, he read in the same way, which taught "positive values of love and caring were associated with same-sex couples and their families" (August 90).


In the state of Minnesota, the school district bans teachers from discussing homosexuality. The school follows a neutrality rule, which consequently leads to students being bullied. In the six minute CNN video, four students, Kyle, Brittney, Damian and Dylan are interviewed about their experiences in the Minnesota's public schools. Each one of the students is bullied for either being gay, having gay parents or for doing activities that go against "gender norms" (I put gender norms in quotations because the video is a few years older and many men and women are doing activities that were once seen as just for men or just for women). In the video, Brittney discusses a situation where she reported to the school counselor that students were calling homophobic slurs. The counselor proceeded to tell Brittney that she should not use those words as they were not school appropriate and to just ignore those students. The students who were bullying Brittney were never spoken to nor received any form of punishment. The instance of Brittney relates to the reading Safe Spaces, where a "seven-year old Marcus was sent to the principal's office and assigned in-school suspension for using the word 'gay' in school. Marcus was not calling one of his classmates gay. Nor was he using the word to refer to something cheesy. No- Marcus was describing his family...he had two moms" (August 95). Even though Marcus's story is not the exact same as Brittney's, the two are similar in the sense that each student was rebuked by the adults in their schools just for using the word to either describe what someone called them or to describe their family. In the video, the actress Jane Lynch was interviewed in which she said that the neutrality of the schools in Minnesota was what she felt a way for the adults to avoid their responsibility to protect their students. There is no advocate for the students in these schools. The authors of Safe Spaces, prove Lynch's statement true in which they state, "In the absence of meaningful discussion that combats homophobia and transphobia, students use and hear language that denigrates and abuses their LGBT peers (August 96-97.)

11 and Gender Fluid

Summary

The article is written from the perspective of Erin Zelle, the mother of Sullivan who since the age of 11 identified as gender fluid. Gender fluid is "a fluid shift between masculine and feminine depending on how one feels" (Zelle). In the article, Zelle discusses her daughter's transformation from when she was younger to middle school. At first her daughter started to express herself by wearing hats and then began to wear more masculine clothing and even cut her hair shorter. Zelle, also showcases the support and admiration she has for her daughter's style and self-expression. Zelle states her reaction to Sullivan's outfit by stating, "I loved the way it looked and felt invigorated by her energy" (Zelle). The article implies to encourage others and allow them to express themselves however that may be, which is shown by Zelle's appreciation and love for her daughter's self-expression.

Hyperlinks

Lachlan Watson and Gender Fluidity

Lachlan Watson as Susie in 'Chilling Adventures of Sabrina'As I was reading Zelle's article, I could tell how supportive of her daughter she was and how much she admired that her daughter was not afraid to express herself. I could not help but make the connection between Sullivan to an actor from the Netflix series Sabrina the Teenage Witch. In the series the character of Susie Putnam is portrayed by actor Lachlan Watson. Lachlan Watson struggled with identity as well, until he realized that he did not hve to conform to one gender. In the article that I have provided a link to above Watson states, "You don’t have to label yourself so quickly, you don’t have to just be one thing or another. You are allowed to forge your own path and you can do it brilliantly and independently" (Prance). In the article Watson discusses his connection to his character Susie Putnam on the show who is also LGBTQ and his personal experience as well. 

Personal Connections

I love my grandmother very much and she would do anything for her four granddaughters, but she struggles to accept that one of them is gay. My younger cousin, who is 15, has recently come out as being gay and has started to gravitate to wearing more masculine clothing. My grandmother is having a difficult time accepting this about my cousin, even though my grandmother loves her unconditionally. My grandmother does not like to discuss that my younger cousin is gay and she tries to encourage my younger cousin that she is not gay and to wear more feminine clothing.  Upon reading the two articles, it made me think how invalid this must make my younger cousin feel and that she is marginalized by my grandmother, who does not discuss homosexuality or gender fluidity with her. I want my grandmother to read the articles try to understand what my younger cousin is feeling or thinking.  

Talking Points

After finishing reading the texts, my mind began to wonder a multitude of things. I began reflecting on my past encounters and wonder if I ever made anyone ever feel like they were invalid, due to the fact that I may have just not said anything. I could not think of a specific time off the top of my head, but the article is making me more aware of what I say or do not say in the future. The article also asked questions after the end of each section which made me reflect on my education and if homosexuality was ever discussed when I was younger. I do not ever remember learning about homosexuality or ever hearing about it from a teacher. I am left wondering how many students feel invalid during school or marginalized, since LGBTQ history is not taught nor is homosexuality discussed.


Works Cited
August, Gerri, et al. Safe Spaces: Making Schools and Communities Welcoming to LGBT       Youth. Praeger.
Aviles, Gwen. “'Arthur' Character Mr. Ratburn Comes out as Gay, Gets Married in Season Premiere.” NBCNews.com, NBCUniversal News Group, 14 May 2019, https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/arthur-character-mr-ratburn-comes-out-gay-gets-married-season-n1005436. 
CNN. “School Bans Discussion of Homosexuality.” YouTube, YouTube, 12 Oct. 2011, https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=wKQq2hfhs24. 
“Pin by Ali on Res Life: College Bulletin Boards, Ra Bulletin Boards, February Bulletin Boards.” Pinteresthttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/309904018100251858/. 
Rachel, et al. “10 Ways Educators Can Make Schools Safer for LGBT 
Prance, Sam. “Susie Was Originally Going to Come out as a Trans Man in 'Sabrina' Season One.” PopBuzzPopBuzz, 1 Nov. 2018, https://www.popbuzz.com/tv-film/chilling-adventures-of-sabrina/lachlan-watson-susie-putnam-trans-non-binary/. 
Youth.” Autostraddle, 2 Oct. 2015, https://www.autostraddle.com/10-ways-educators-can-make-schools-safer-for-lgbt-youth-309996/. 
Watanabe, Teresa. “How to Teach Gay Issues in 1st Grade?” Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times, 16 Oct. 2011, https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2011-oct-16-la-me-gay-schools-20111016-story.html. 
Yasharoff, Hannah. “Airing 'Arthur' Gay Wedding Would Be a 'Violation of Trust,' Alabama TV Station Says.” USA Today, Gannett Satellite Information Network, 21 May 2019, https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/allthemoms/2019/05/21/alabama-tv-station-cut-arthur-episode-gay-wedding/3750852002/. 
Zelle, Erin. “Commentary: 11 and Gender Fluid: Suits, Ties and Other Staples from My Daughter's Closet.” Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times, 20 Aug. 2016, https://www.latimes.com/fashion/la-ig-new-gender-fluidity-essay-20160815-snap-story.html. 




Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I love all the information you have and how many connections you made! I can relate with you on your personal connection, my cousin is also gay and my grandpa is having trouble excepting it. I hope that one day they will grow to except it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love how your connections aren't just articles about studies, they are about shows and famous people that we know! It makes your blog an interesting read seeing how these people can relate to our original read too! I also like how you included your personal connection to the text. I also read over your talking points and now I am wondering if I ever made anyone feel invalid too... Your blog definitely got my brain thinking! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressed Shaelyn. Nice job! Your last two paragraphs were important in that they reflect what we today have to consider with our own approaches, but also to consider the struggles that older generations have with this topic.
    My mother was born in 1928. I never expected her to to embrace new ideas and social concepts like I might have, and I myself have had my struggles coming to grips with the newer ideas and concepts myself (requiring some hard introspection, no easy transition), and I know many young people I teach who take some of them for granted and have no struggle. We're moving forward as a society, but it's taking generations, and unfortunately there are many who can't benefit in the meanwhile.
    I often wonder if I have, without meaning to, put someone in a position where they were offended, insulted, or uncomfortable. In the end, I just move on and try to be who I am, a reasonable, sensitive person with faults. With my guitar students I try to get to know them, and at some point with those of appropriate age, I ask if they have some romance in their lives. I ask in a fairly delicate manner, and I hope it's presented in a way that they know I'm cool with any lifestyle approach. I've had a solid bond with so many over many years that I think I'm doing okay, but I always want to do better if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your formatting is always so professional that I felt like I had to change mine haha
    I also really appreciate your consistency in going past just the grade requirements by utilizing personal connections and other additions in all of you posts.
    One suggestion would be changing up the color of the text with the green backgrounds to stand out more. Otherwise it's really well put together!

    As for content, I really like your personal connection. I feel like older generations might have a negative perception of the constant changes and growth that has come of the world in the last few generations. The change is a constant move from what is familiar and is the foundation for what people see as themselves. Their sense of "I" is grounded in their beliefs and experiences and is often hard to break away from.

    Last year, I did a presentation and paper of Mohsin Hamid's "Exit West" which at one point tells the story of an old woman recollecting the change in her neighborhood and life. She concludes that “we are all migrants through time”, even though she had stayed in the same house, neighborhood, and environment her whole life. While she does not move, the people around her do, the world still does. While the old woman describes the change initially as negative, she comes to terms with the idea that change is natural and there's no point in fighting that.

    Once again, great post this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shae - I'm really impressed by your connection points and the hyperlinks that you chose. The key concepts of sexual identity and relating it to current day pop culture and current events is a great way of connecting how the harassment and negative outlooks on LGBTQ community members shows the problem at hand and how it really can happen to our students if it happens to people in mainstream media. Your personal connection with your cousin is a nice touch, and I believe that connecting personally on this matter puts you in a much better place with your future teaching given you understand the issues and struggles that come along with bring apart of that community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was really excited to see someone talk about Arthur! I personally watched the show fairly often and was definitly influence by Arthur's mistakes and D.W's smart mouth so I can only imagine how important it is for LGBTQ+ youth to see characters like Mr.Ratburn be open and comfortable with who they are and how they identify!.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shaelyn, I really loved your post and can't get over how much of great job you did! Your work is so organized and detailed and I really enjoyed reading your post. I thought it was great that you included the video on the discussion of homosexuality being banned in schools because it's such an important topic that should be allowed to be discussed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

The Blind Poet: Diversity Event